Jon Jones. His rise to stardom has been nothing less than awe inspiring. Devastating victories over all of his opponents, with convincing finishes over each of them. Only one loss marks an otherwise perfect record – the DQ to Matt Hamill (whom he was dominating before being called for an illegal elbow). With all of that said, how can you really argue that the guy isn’t going to be king for awhile?
A couple of things come into question…
- Arguably, Shogun is the only top level competitor that Jones faced.
- Jones’ chin has really not yet been tested – one lucky “Matt Serra-esque”hayday could be the end of a very short reign.
- The Light Heavyweight division is still considered one of the deepest in the UFC.
- Second to the previous point, Rampage was the last champion to successfully defend his title (I still don’t consider the Machida defence legit) – it’s a revolving door title.
- Nerves. Jones is going to be facing his first defence and that can be a tough mental obstacle for any fighter to overcome.
The post Jon “Bones” Jones: Flavour of the Month? Or here to stay? appeared first on Last Word On Soccer.